Find the best newborn photography props on the market! One self-proclaimed “prop-aholic” shares the comprehensive list every newborn photographer needs. (Featuring MISS Z PHOTOGRAPHY)
“I’m a ‘prop-aholic’,” says Miss Z Photography owner Abrah Zion – and she’s not kidding! Abrah is a rising star in the newborn photography world, with her thriving business built around an incredible collection of newborn photography props.
Abrah’s passion for props is serving her well. With multiple awards and publications under her belt, she certainly knows her craft and how to attract clients – even if her approach is slightly unconventional.
“My best ideas come to me in the middle of the night,” laughs Abrah. “I’ll wake up and write a note about it on my phone.”
Abrah also carves out time to meet with her clients before each shoot. Their occupations and hobbies, favorite movies and best-loved books: all inspire the final photography setups Abrah designs for her tiny subjects.
Miss Z’s 10-Step Newborn Photography Process
Newborn photographers will tell you: between lengthy photo sessions and in-person sales meetings, the newborn photography genre is a huge time-commitment. But, instead of striving to spend less time with her clients, Abrah is determined to spent more.
After the initial email inquiry and phone consultation, Abrah schedules each client for an in-person, no-obligation consultation.
- At the consultation, potential clients meet Abrah in-person, see her studio, and peruse more of her work.
- If the family books a session with Abrah, she guides them through planning their session, from themes to props to colors.
- Abrah books both newborn and “smash-and-splash” sessions into her 2500 square foot studio.
- Other sessions can be booked in the studio, or scheduled for an outdoor location within 20 miles.
- On the day of the session, clients arrive to Abrah’s relaxing studio environment. They’re served coffee and snacks, and given a front-row seat to the photography experience. Newborn sessions can last up to four hours, so client comfort is top priority!
- Abrah is always happy to include parent and sibling photos at no additional charge.
- When the session ends, Abrah schedules her clients’ return visit to her studio to view their beautiful photographs.
- After her clients place their print order, Abrah creates the family’s ShootProof gallery. Each ShootProof gallery empowers easy, at-home sharing, viewing, and ordering.
- Printed products are delivered to Abrah, who packs everything in beautiful boutique packaging.
- Abrah’s husband hand-delivers every client order to locations up to one hour away. (Three cheers for teamwork!)
Safety First, Second, and Third
“Safety and health are my top priorities,” emphasizes Abrah. In fact, Abrah has an assistant specifically to ensure a safe shooting environment.
“[My most popular pose is] the ‘froggy’ pose,” Abrah tells us. Then, ever safety-conscious, she elaborates: “This pose is done as a composite. This means that my assistant’s hands never leave the baby’s head. I take several photos as she moves her hands in different positions on the baby’s head, then I combine the images in Photoshop to remove her hands.”
Miss Z’s Favorite Newborn Photography Props
Abrah’s propaholic ways wouldn’t be possible without the incredible creativity of her favorite prop makers. Her most-requested props? The Cinderella Carriage and Bat Mobile, both created by Mr.&Mrs.&Co.
Keep reading to see Abrah’s full list of phenomenal newborn photography props!
#1: Lily Mily Boutique by Lisa Eaton
“Lily Mily Boutique makes the majority of my newborn and sitter outfits. Her attention to detail is amazing, and the fit of all of her outfits is perfect.”
#2: Pitter-Pats Creations by Paige Edwards
“Pitter Pats is my go-to for all of my superhero outfits. Her newborn outfits are unique and extremely well made.”
#3: Off My Hooks by Tricia Henne
“Off My Hooks does really detailed wigs that go with my many newborn “costumes”.
- Aubrey’s Felties
- Belly Baby Wear by Ana Brandt
- Darling Desirae
- Fancy Fabric & Props
- The Felted Attic
- Fleur Foto Knits
- K2C Blooms
- Lil J’s Boutique
- Modest Little Me
- No. 2 Willow Lane
- Princessa Anastasia
- Roses and Ruffles
- Sew Trendy
The Right Stuff – Inside & Out
Anyone can buy all the “right” props, set up the “right” studio, and follow the “right” path to great clients and better sales. But the real “right” way to do business comes from within.
“Maternity, newborn, baby, and child photography is my passion,” Abrah shares. “I get lost in it. I’m fortunate to work with so many wonderful people who started out as strangers, became clients, and now are friends. I feel blessed to do what I love.”
What other companies make the best newborn photography props?
Written by ANNE SIMONE | Featuring MISS Z PHOTOGRAPHY