In episode #4 of Find Your Focus, photographer Logan Fahey explores how photographers can overcome our fears and accept our uniqueness.
Fear of Running a Photography Business: Getting Past Insecurities and Embracing Your Uniqueness
Feat. Logan Fahey
Episode #4 show notes
Today’s topic is a tough one because it touches all of us in some way. It’s fear. While both new and seasoned photographers sometimes battle with fears and insecurities, it is mostly the newest shooters who face the biggest internal obstacles, especially when they start comparing their work with those who have been doing it for many years.
We worry about whether we’re good enough and what others will think. And we’re concerned about how we will support our families (and please our loved ones!) with our new businesses.
The good news is that fear is a liar that you can reject and conquer. When you turn your back on that doubtful inner voice, you will be amazed at the opportunities that come your way.
Do you want to quit your job to become a full-time photographer? You can do it! Do you want to make the switch to IPS? You can do that, too!
Whatever you put your mind to, it’s totally possible as long as you are willing to endure the stress, effort, and long hours it might require. So, are you going to let fear win, or will you push forward despite the possible difficulties and failures? Tune in for some serious encouragement!
Key moments in this episode
- Hear how Logan made the mistake of comparing herself to other photographers early on.
- The constant battled against fear and trying not to be influenced by it all the time.
- Here’s the great news: fear is a liar! Make a sticky note or shout it from the rooftops.
- Understanding that fear only has power when we pay attention to what it says.
- Find out how letting go of fear opens up doors that would have stayed shut otherwise.
- Professional photographers aren’t born—it takes years of hard work and dedication.
- Consider what your favorite photographer’s first shoot might have looked like…
- Be willing to fail over and over again; it’s the only way you’ll grow.
- Worrying about what others will think versus surrounding yourself with the right people.
- Don’t be afraid of having those tough conversations with loved ones.
“Fear is a liar.” — Logan Fahey [0:01:29]
“Fear can’t exist unless we allow it to. Fear needs us to listen to its whispers.” — Logan Fahey [0:01:50]
“None of us were born professional photographers. What you see in someone’s gallery or online on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram—wherever you’re looking—is the culmination of years of hard work and dedication to mastering their craft.” — Logan Fahey [0:03:28]
“Surround yourself with people who will lift you up and support you and make your journey to your dream a whole lot easier.” — Logan Fahey [0:06:48]
Listen to more episodes of Find Your Focus HERE or wherever you get your podcasts.