In episode #41 of Find Your Focus, photographer Shalonda Chaddock discusses the pros and cons of transitioning from DSLR to mirrorless.
DSLR vs. Mirrorless:
Is it worth the switch?
Feat. Shalonda Chaddock
Episode #41 show notes
Many photographers are currently considering moving from their tried-and-trusty DSLR camera to a newer and shinier mirrorless model. If you are one of them, this is definitely the episode for you!
Shalonda Chaddock joins us on the podcast again to talk about her experience with this switch and the lessons she has learned in the process. She shares her insights—and a few of her mistakes—with clarity and honesty so you can make the best choice for your business.
We also look dive deep and discuss color, focus, and individual learning curves. For all this and then some, listen in with us today!
Key moments in this episode
- The cameras that Shalonda has used as she has progressed through her career
- Motivations for Shalonda’s switch to mirrorless and how she has approached the change
- The biggest differences that Shalonda has noticed between DSLR and mirrorless cameras
- Clarity and focussing issues and how mirrorless is addressing this for Shalonda
- Considerations for lenses you already own; adapters and when to buy new gear
- Potential difficulties in transitioning from DSLR to mirrorless and using new brands
- Comparing the color of Canon DSLR and the mirrorless Sony
- Shalonda’s advice for listeners considering making a similar switch
“I am allergic to change, period. I hate it, I don’t like it.” — Shalonda Chaddock [0:04:41]
“There were probably a lot of film photographers that have been in the industry for a long time and they maybe were hesitant or they just didn’t think it was going to stick and then it did and then they had to change eventually.” — Shalonda Chaddock [0:06:56]
“The clarity that I detect in the gear that I chose to go with is phenomenal, compared to what I was having with my old gear. The clarity is definitely a huge difference.” — Shalonda Chaddock [0:09:39]
Links mentioned in today’s episode
Listen to more episodes of Find Your Focus HERE or wherever you get your podcasts.